A podiatrist (commonly referred to as a foot doctor) is not a doctor as such but rather an expert in caring for your feet, with expert skills focusing on the maintenance and treatment of skin, nails conditions of the feet and ankles. Regular treatment by a podiatrist (also formerly known as a chiropodist) can help prevent many common painful lesions such as ingrown toenails and other nail problems, corns, toenail fungus, callouses and cracked heels. Self-treatment can often turn a minor problem into a major one and is generally not advisable.
Our team of podiatrists at Podiatry Professionals are trained to deal with a number of general footcare issues. You should a podiatrist when any of the following conditions occur or persist:
- Athlete’s foot (or tinea) is a skin disease, usually starting between the toes or on the bottom of the feet, which can spread to other parts of the body. It is caused by a fungus that commonly attacks the feet and can result in an annoying, itchy feet. This is a similar organism to that of toenail fungus but in this case it effects the top layer of the skin instead of the nail and commonly responds well to foot fungal treatments.
- Blisters are foot problems that we have all had at some point in our lives! They are caused by heat, moisture, skin friction or excessive pressure – or a combination of all!
- Corns and calluses are protective layers of compacted, dead skin cells. They are caused by repeated friction and pressure from skin rubbing against bony areas or against an irregularity in a shoe.
- Cracked heels is when the skin around the heel becomes dry, it loses it’s suppleness and elasticity and often begins to split.
- Foot odour results from excessive perspiration (sweaty feet) from the more than 250,000 sweat glands in the foot. Daily hygiene is essential.
- Ingrown nails are nails whose corners or sides dig painfully into the skin, often causing infection. They are frequently caused by improper nail trimming but also by shoe pressure, injury, nail fungal infection, poor foot structure or can be inherited.
- Warts are caused by a virus, which can enter the skin through small cuts and cause significant foot pain. There is a variety of footcare option for plantar warts which will depend of a number of individual factors which your podiatrist will best educate you on.
- Toenail fungus can develop as a result from an infection caused by micro-organisms that invade the nail plate and change the nail’s appearance. Nail fungus treatment can vary but here at the clinic we utilise modern, state of the art techniques such as fungal nail laser treatment amongst others, we are experts at treating nail fungus infections as they present to us everyday.
- Diabetic foot screening involves regularly checking the health of the feet in regards to circulation, ulcers, high pressure risk areas and nail care and our foot experts thrive on providing education on how best to deal with common problems such as toenail problems, bunions, foot pain and foot care products.If you are suffering from any of the conditions listed above, contact us at Podiatry Professionals today and let our team of friendly Canberra podiatrists assist you by providing the latest treatments in footcare to relieve your foot problems.